"though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37:24

Friday, September 24, 2010

No Lunchbox!

What a treat today! We didn't have to pack a lunchbox for JG!! Please don't take me as being a cruel parent, but, good grief, packing lunchboxes every day gets old! Better yet, the hubby let me sleep in a bit & packed JG's snack for him, too! The truth is,... JG had his first official field trip for the school year today, and it included lunch. It was a walking field trip from the school to the art center, the library, the museum, and a local restaurant, Abner's, for lunch.

With his teacher's help, we planned ahead for JG to have an alternate lunch. I was, of course, concerned that a problem would arise, so I met JG and his class at the restaurant. I arrived about 15 minutes ahead of the children so that I could verify that they had gotten his order correct and so that I could place an order for myself. I was very impressed w/ their willingness to make concessions for JG's special diet. He dined on non-marinated grilled chicken fingers, french fries, and cole slaw, while his classmates had fried chicken fingers, fries, and bread. He devoured every bite of his lunch, and he didn't seem to have a bit of a problem w/ eating differently than everyone else.
Chalk one up for Mommy!

And another accomplishment worth cheering about: one of the other mommies asked me about JG's diet and said that she had brought cupcakes the previous day for her son's birthday,... and (drum roll please) JG refused! I'm so impressed w/ my little boy! He's a sponge when it comes to this nutrition stuff that I'm always harping on about! He was even reading the ketchup bottle while we were having lunch and discussing the sodium and sugar content. He was happy to report that it contained no high fructose corn syrup!! I must be doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment